Saturday, October 25, 2008




















Harvey was climbing out of his crib almost every time we put him in, so we bought him a big boy bed. Actually, right now it is just a mattress. I wanted to make sure he wouldn't roll out before I put it up on a bed, and also I want to find just the right bed. (I.e. It has to be cute.) So far we have searced 3 furniture stores, Shopko, and Ikea. Maybe I am just being too picky. He has been doing a very good job sleeping in his big boy bed, hasn't been climbing out at all, and staying asleep all night.

Tonight we took him to the Cub Scout Halloween Carnival at Grandma's church. When I went to put the dog costume on him, I found out that the zipper wasn't zipping, so we went back to Targett to exchange it, and they didn't have any dogs left, so Harvey ended up as a Monkey after all. I think he looked really cute.

Harvey loves to be outside these days. Every time we get in and out of the car we have to stay outside and play for a few minutes. Jed cleaned up the backyard, moved all the corian scrap he had on the back porch and pushed his table saw into the garage, so Harvey can play in the backyard. He looooovves to go out there and chase his dog.

This week we went with Aunt Lindsay, Katie, and Tagg to the petting zoo. Harvey went for a pony ride, and didn't like it one bit. Just a few seconds into it he jumped right off his pony. Luckily I was standing right there to catch him.

Today we went to the Olive Garden to have lunch. The waitress brought us our check and some mints, and put them down next to Harvey. He unwrapped those three mints and gobbled them down before Jed and I even noticed what he was doing.

And finally, an announcement I have been worrying about announcing for a long time. If you see me very often, you probably have already guessed...Harvey. Is. Going. To. Be. A. Big. Brother.

Yep. Crazy, huh? I can hardly believe it myself. We are very grateful and excited and happy and surprised. And Grateful. And Grateful. And Grateful. And Surprised. Although everyone has a story of someone they know getting pregnant after adoption, it actually happens, according to Resolve National Infertility Association, only 3% of the time. To me it just confirms once again that Harvey was meant to be in our family. It seems like the only explanation for those years we spent trying, with doctors helping us, and why we suddenly and miraculously got pregnant shortly after all the papers were signed so Harvey could stay here.

Harvey is going to be an awesome big brother.

5 comments:

Jess said...

SQEEEEEEEEEEAL!

You just can't know how excited I am to hear it (and be the first to comment)...Harvey WILL be a wonderful big brother! Big boy bed, just in time! GO HARVEY!

Two can't be anything but a blessing. Crazy, sure. But how can another family member on his o her way NOT be fantastic news for you guys??

(If it makes you feel saner, I say...Blah blah blah someone's brother's sister's aunt's cousin got pregnant when the adopted. Whatever. That doesn't happen in real life, and the 3% you quoted is totally totally believable. People always point at us on that one, too, but we were pg technically BEFORE we adopted so ppl can eat it. :) )

Tamara ViAnn said...

WHAAAAAT!

I'm so happy for you guys! What a tremendous, wonderful blessing especially with what you've been through with Harvey. I have to say I'm insanely jealous. I know the statistics are about 3% like you mentioned but it doesn't help that your like the second person I "know" that this has happened to recently! Gives me hope.

Oh... how far along are you?

Hugs,
Tamara

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

Jess, I am glad to know I am not the only one who goes a little crazy when people say that.

Tamara, It's cool to be pregnant, but I have to say I wouldn't trade a dozen easily-won pregnancies for what I got to experience when we adopted. I wish more people could know how stinkin cool it is.

But yeah, both is nice too.

24 weeks with a boy. Harvey is going to be able to teach him how to get into little boy trouble. :)

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

P.S. Have you ever seen a cuter little monkey?

Jess said...

Oh my gosh yes, the monkey! And the banana really tops it right off.

That Harvey. He and Ava are getting so LARGE.

I will admit, I'm a little jealous of your more normal spacing and your baby-baby that will again be at your home!!

You are sooo right, about adoption. I am VERY happy we did adopt. I know we were about to get pg and while it was expensive to adopt....it was expensive to get pg too! Plus, there is something altogether different about the adoption experience that isn't "known" or talked abotu really. I think because it isn't OFTEN that there is a pg after adoption, perhaps? It's amazing to commit to your child the same way you committed to your husband...to stand up and have someone say YES! You are a family because it's RIGHT not because you can get knocked up!! GOOD JOB!

Plus, we enjoy the openness of our adoption, it's an experience that has made us all better people, I'm sure of it.

AS FOR HARVEY, are you getting him a dolly? Or are you just going to surprise him? Does he "know"? I know he probably could on some level because Rachel says that Connor knew "sissy Ava" was in her belly. It just took a while for him to realize she was OUT! :)