Substantially less funny this morning, I admit. I took a lot of medicine last night -- what more can I say. I'll take the template down soon, but not now, because we are about to take our baby boys to see How To Train Your Dragon. (Wish us luck.)
Today was Harvey's long-awaited assessment test. I knew it was going badly when, fifteen minutes into a test that was supposed to take two hours, they pulled me into the directors office and he handed me a box of kleenex. I'm kinda mad about that box of kleenex now. I wasn't crying when I went in there, and I didn't cry until I got out to the car. I think the only reason I cried in the car was because I remembered that box of tissues he'd handed me in the beginning of the meeting, and I started thinking that maybe I SHOULD have cried.
Which makes no sense whatsoever -- because it's not like they told me anything I didn't already know. It doesn't change anything. He's still the same adoreable, sweet little boy that he was before we went in.
Harvey has autism. He is going to need a lot of help. He definitely qualifies for full-time autism preschool in the fall. This is not news. It is exactly what I was expecting.
Damn kleenex.
6 comments:
shoot the kleenex box, honest you will fill better.
It'll be alright Cally. I don't mean to say it won't be hard, really really hard maybe (maybe) but it'll be alright.
You're more than capable of doing right by him and helping him through anything. And like you said, he's the same as before.
It's scary, though. I know that for sure. Wondering what his version of okay will be. We have our (I think smaller) struggles with Ethan and it's hard not to worry. Strange how some people are looking for athletes or scholars or whatever and at some point you just have to hold hope for "normal."
You know, you are getting him help so early. It'll make a big difference.
PS, Tell me how the movie experience goes. We have as yet been too afraid, and Ethan is the reason! :)
Hey, big hugs from over here. Like you say, he's the same little boy, just now you gave a name. I don't have any words of wisdom. Juat a big hug. :)
It's just a label. It doesn't mean anything is different. But you already know that. ((((HUGS)))
You'll love the movie, we all went to see it.
Autism,baatism. He's cute, he's loved, he's really rather smart when you think about it. So his toes don't curl the same way the doctors do. Blocks are for climbing. And I/we don't know anyone who is loved more than Lil Mister Harvey. Take care and do like your mom said, shoot the dang kleenex box!!!!
Post a Comment