I feel so frazzled. Yesterday, Grey tried to stand up in the bathtub. He slipped and in the second it took me to pick him up, the bath water was full of blood. His head was cut. I thought he would need stitches, so I went out to the garage and told Jed to listen for Harvey, and rushed Grey to the doctor's office. Only when I got to the doctors waiting room and everyone was looking at me funny did I realize Grey was still only wearing a diaper. Awesome. Vote me mother of the year. He did need stitches, only the doctor thought that because it was right on his eyebrow bone, stitches would leave track mark scars, so he used Dermabond instead. I was happy, because it was way less traumatic for everyone. (A.K.A Me.)
While I was gone, of course, Harvey woke up and so Jed had to come inside and stop working during his busiest week ever.
Today...I wake up at 6:30 so I can get myself cleaned up and both of the boys all ready for preschool. Can I just say, preschool days are not the easiest? I wake up at the break of dawn and get everyone dressed and fed and dressed again, because Harvey hates getting dressed and he always stiffens up his body and makes it nearly impossible, and then strips his clothes off half a dozen times before we can get out to the car. Then I drop Grey off in the nursery screaming, and usually I have to wrestle a car or two out of Harvey's hands, because they are not allowed to go to preschool. So today, we do the routine, I take away the matchbox car. Harvey kicks and screams and flops his body, as per the usual routine. We drop a screaming Grey off, because he is not happy to be in daycare, even for two hours. Fortunately, when we get to the ball room, (I'm dragging Harvey, at this point) he forgets all about the car. Hallelujah.
Unfortunately, in the ball pit, Harvey found another car, that someone else had lost. I felt like crying, when I saw that little car come up out of the ball pit. I let him play with it until "work time" and then a couple other kids are fighting over it, and it is keeping Harvey from doing his work, so I pry it away and put it up on top of a cupboard where he cannot see or reach it. Harvey has a grade A melt-down. A few minutes later, he is still screaming and crying, and I thought that someone had moved the car, so I lifted him up to see that it was gone...but, nope. I was wrong. It was still there. So at this point every kid in the class is distracted because of Harvey's melt- down, and half of them are fighting over this car. So I take it away from Harvey again, and we move on to snack time. Harvey is still kicking and screaming, and I am holding him on my lap trying to calm him down and get him back on track, and he kicks his legs up onto the table and kicks the juice over. We leave the snack table. Fifteen minutes later, Harvey is still screaming bloody murder about the car. I can't give him back the car, because then all the other kids are going to fight over it and the teacher is going to think I am bad at discipline, so we had to leave preschool early.
I decided that I would go to Target and buy some new puzzles and games for his learning box at preschool, thinking maybe some really cool things will help him work better next week. At the store, shopping is the usual chaos ( I ended up leaving with a new pair of size 9 Thomas-the-Train sandal, instead of the size 8.) On the way out of the parking lot, Grey's screaming was so distracting (he hates riding in the car) that I turned around to comfort him and backed into another car. Arugh. I waited in the parking lot forever for the car owner to come out, and the boys started getting really cranky about sitting there, so I loaded them back into the cart, (and they were not at all happy about it. Grey was screaming and pulling at my shirt, and Harvey was screaming and taking off his seat belt, standing up in the cart seat) and went inside to page the owner of the car. Nobody came up when we paged them, so after all that trouble I just ended up leaving a note on the car's window.
If they just both take their naps at the same time today, it will all be worth it.
5 comments:
I am so sorry I laughed when you told me this story. But "the choices are to laugh or cry and crying gives me a headache." Quote by Marjotie Hinckley.
LOL....oh...my. I giggled, too, but it's only because it sounded like my morning.
Sometimes I think I'm actually slow to consider more kids.
And sometimes I DON'T consider more kids! :D
So what your saying is you had a normal day and that you just wanted everyone to laugh at, I mean feel your pain.
Okay, do you need a break???? I can be there in 12 hours.......
Maybe I could fly there.
But either way you smile at yourself and hug those interesting little fellows of yours. Happy Friday.
what a crazy crazy day! I admire you for getting through it all, since now with only one (sleeping) child I hardly dare venture to the grocery store.
Hmmm. I'd love to tell you it gets easier, but the truth is that the melt-downs just change with age! Really, sounds like you are doing GREAT as a mom. Keep smiling and consider yourself hugged!
Post a Comment