Friday, August 27, 2010

Harvey had back-to-school night on Monday, and I think it's safe to say the kid is excited. He got to see his classroom, and talk to his teacher, and then go down to the lunchroom and get a popsicle. He has his own cute little cubby and a spot on the circle rug. His teacher is named Mrs. Brenda and she seemed very nice and knowledgeable.

I was surprised to see that Harvey is only going two days a week. I am willing to bet that the teacher will change that at his first IEP meeting. I guess his testing could have gone worse. Should that be comforting? Because it kinda is.

If, for some reason, Harvey does not get bumped up to more than two days a week, I think I will look for a little supplement somewhere else, either with the new Autism Bridges program run by kids-on-the-move, or Autism Journeys -- probably depending on which one is cheaper. (Although Autism Journeys would be cool, because they have an Autism Therapy Dog that they rotate from kid to kid. How great is that?)

For now he has class on Wednesday and Friday. And I enrolled them boys in a kindermusic class on Tuesday mornings, but that only lasts for a few weeks. I will have to go with them to that, so I'll have my hands full. Not sure how that will work, but I guess I am going to find out.

I'm excited for Grey to be able to participate this time. He is always wanting to be involved with Harvey's therapy and preschool appointments. We have been going down to Kids-On-The-Move lately when it rains, just to play in their motor room, and I think Grey is happy that he doesn't have to go to sibling care when we are there anymore.

I also got a postcard in the mail from the preschool Giant Steps. You may remember, I have had Harvey on a waiting list to get into this preschool for nearly two years. It has a lot more funding, and a two to one student/teacher ratio. The postcard says a spot will probably open up for Harvey sometime this school year, and "suggests" I start attending their evening classes for parents once a month. I think it's more than a suggestion, so my dear mother has volunteered to babysit. She's a gem.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Lots of stuff going on!! Good luck to Harvey, and to you! :)

Jess said...

PS...Ava hates to go to the family room during therapy too...in fact...she wants to go so badly that we have to either let her come or leave her at home!

Elissa said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy! I hope he enjoys school and you're able to stay on top of everything. :)