Saturday, May 14, 2011

ALL YOUR LIZARD ARE BELONG TO US

Today we woke up bright and early, packed the kids and 83% of our worldly posessions into the van, and headed out of town for some geode caching.

We stopped once at Simpsons Springs to see the old Pony Express cabins. Harvey thought they were super cool ("Look, Grandma, look! A window! Look Mommy, look! A door!") Jed was checking out the campsite, but just between you and me, we will never camp there. I prefer to do my camping within shouting distance of civilization, thankyouvermuch. Plus, part of me kept scanning the desert, hoping to see Susan Powell's foot sticking out of the sand amid the sagebrush. Morbid, I know.

We kept driving approximately forever, until we came to the middle of nowhere. We got out of the car, and Grandpa carried a shovel over to a promising geode-pit to have a look around. While he was doing that, Jed and Grandma and I got out the kites and got them into the air. I will never forget the way Grey waved his string-fist around in a circle constantly, seemingly under the impression that that was the proper way to fly a kite. Harvey did really well until he started running with his kite and accidently tripped over a rock. I carried him back to the truck, set him on the tailgate, and was just beginning to wash up his scratched knee and apply a band-aid when he let go of his string. I took off running at my top speed, (which, as you can imagine, is not very fast), all the while thanking Zeus that we were in the middle of the desert and nobody was around to see me. That kite is special. It came from his Grandma and Grandpa Knight, and we would have been sad if we lost it.

Just as I finished winding up the last of the string, Grandpa caught the boys a lizard. ("A baby shadobo") We admired it for awhile, let the boys pet it, tried to get them to kiss it, and then turned it lose. The boys were devestated.

Grandpa managed to catch another one, a little horny toad lizard, and put it inside an empty diet pepsi bottle. The boys took turns trying to kill each other, so they could be the one that got to shake the bottle carrying the poor creature around. Mostly Harvey won. Grandpa and Jed both spent all the geo-caching time hunting down another lizard for sad little Grey, but to no avail.

Most of us were pretty happy when Harveys lizard finally escaped and we didn't have to worry about any small boys or reptiles dying anymore.

Come to think of it, I don't think we managed to bring home a single geode.

Pictures tomorrow.

No comments: