Sunday, June 8, 2008

Yesterday I went to a writers conference at Cedar Fort Publishing. Its a tiny little publisher of mostly LDS Books. I sat in between a guy named Dave Cullingridge, Author of "Truth and Science: An LDS Perspective" and Abel Keough who wrote "Room for Two." The long, long keynote speaker was actually a motivational speaker who had happened to write a book, and I was pretty dissapointed. The whole conference might have been incredibly dull and only mildly informative, were it not for one redeeming event.

I feel like I should add some sort of disclaimer here before I go on. This is it: I do not believe, whatsoever, in astrology, psychics, divination, etc. And also: I did not pre-register for this conference. I came in 10 minutes late, and sat down at the front of the room before I put on my name tag. I did not have to submit any application for the conference. I did not discuss my book with anyone, and I did not raise my hand at any time to make a comment.

So, now we can go on with the story. The speaker dismissed us for lunch and before I even had a chance to stand from my chair there was a woman standing in front of me. She was a normal-looking woman with short red hair, jeans, and a flannel shirt. She stuck out her hand and read my name tag. I shook her hand and read her nametag. Then there was a long, ackward silence. She stood in front of me, staring. I searched desperately for something to say.

Me: So, What are you here for? What are you writing?

Her: Oh, nothing. I just felt like I should come. I came with my sister. She wrote a book. What are you writing?

Me: A novel. (If I've never told you I'm working on a book, that's because I think it sounds incredibly stupid so I've only mentioned it to a very few people.)

Her: Oh. Yes. Yes. It's Historical Fiction, isn't it? (It is.)

Thinking I must have left my manuscript open and she saw it, I look down at my bag. But my manuscript is tucked in with my laptop, out of view.

Me: ...

Her: I'm a psychic.

Me: (Thinking she must be joking, she is just being evasive.) Haha. Hehe.

Her: It's not a Western, is it? But it does take place in the Old West. (It does.)

Me: ...

Her: Oh, it's a bit of a romance, isn't it? (A bit.) It is going to be good, very good. You are going to do a good job. It's going to do good for you.

Me: ...

Her: It looks like there is a lot of water in the book. (There is.)

Me: ...

Her: Oh! It's about whales. Wow. Yes. There are whales in it. (There are.)

Me: (Not that I would EVER call a psychic. Mostly because I'm just creeped out and looking for something to say.) "Huh. I should get your number."

Her: I have a card.

So I follow her back to her table and shake hands with her sister while she digs a card out of her bag.

Her (to her sister): This is C.ally. She is writing her first novel. It's a sort-of romance set in the old West. She was shocked that I knew all that.

Her Sister: And then you told her why you know?

Her: Yes.

Them: HEhehehehehehehehe.

Me: Thanks for the card. (I start walking away.)

Her: Wait! Cally!

I turn around.

Her: There's another one right behind it, you know.

Me: ...

Her: There's a sequel.

Now. I'm not saying I believe in that kind of thing, but my goodness, that was creepy. Especially because she knew about the whales. How many books have you read set in the old west that involve a lot of whales? I just wanted to write it down somewhere so I don't forget what she said to me.

I know you people are actually here for pictures of the world's most adoreable baby, not boring stories about myself. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures this week. Not even when we went to Thanksgiving Point with Cammie. I've been forgetting my camera. But, I promise I will take some today and post them before I go to bed.

Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you wrote that experience down. I'm expecting to see it again on the book jacket of your first book. However I still want the dedication page to be dedicated to your loving family. I think that was a very encouraging experience and you should keep working to make it come true.

Anonymous said...

Well I guess I'll wait a little longer for the adoreable baby pics.

Jess said...

My gosh now I'm curious to about the whales. VERY curious.

I'm also curious about the sequel. You think she meant the book?

Onward and upward, Cally! MUCH MUCH love to you guys.