Saturday, September 19, 2009

Today we laid new sod underneath the swingset. We've had a hard time keeping lawn there, because of a big tree that makes too much shade. What little lawn there was disappeared when Jed tore up my garden boxes so that he could put the swingset there. Laying sod while taking care of two little Things is hard work, and I don't think I will ever try to do both at once again.

The yard looks great though. At least, I think it does. I'm pretty sure Jed is planning to re-do the areas I did first thing Monday morning. Oh well. I did my best. It's just that I don't particularly care if the edge of each square is perfectly trimed to a right angle, or whether or not the seams are visible. I think it's safe to say that Jed needs a long vacation.

While Jed and I laid sod, the boys played in the sandbox. It was one of the first times they have played together. Harvey would bring Grey a new bucket, shovel, or sand mold to chew on every few minutes. It was lovely watching them play, with the sun shining through the leaves and casting an autumy-yellow light on their faces. Made me happy.

After the sod-laying, Jed and I went on a date while Harvey stayed at Grandma's house, where he proceeded to eat a hundred and eleven lollipops and not a single bite of dinner. Grey forced us to walk out of the movie (The Time Travelers Wife) only a half hour into it, which was kind of okay because it had way too many naked man buttock scenes in it.

We stopped to run an errand at the grocery store. I went in while Jed waited in the car. Parked next to Jed were two men, 22-ish, chain-smoking and listening to incredibly profane music while five tiny children screamed in the back seat. Not a single one of them was in a car seat, and every one of them should have been. I wanted to load them into my minivan, wash their hair, dress them in a pair of footie pajamas, make them each a crustless PB&J, and rock them to sleep. It made me remember how grateful I am to have little Harvey here with me, where he will never have to sit in a similar car.



























4 comments:

Flint said...

I did try to get Harvey some real food ... and I do have a hard time saying no when Harvey wants something but after the 100th lollipop even I could say no. Hope your night out was fun. (sorry :))

Jess said...

LOL at the sod! Jed makes me giggle!

Sad about those kids, though. Very sad. :(

Elissa said...

Seeing kids in a situation like that makes me so angry.

Glad your little boys are playing together. So cute!

LaDawn said...

Seeing kids in situations like that kills me, too. I bet you can relate even better than me. I have a friend who once at a stop light saw a family in a van with the baby sitting on the mom's lap. My friend happened to have an extra car seat, so she hopped out and asked if they wanted it. She helped them buckle it in the car and then put the baby in it. Then she realized that the seat they put the carseat in was the only passenger seat in the back of the van. There were two other little kids that now were without a seat. To this day, she wonders if she made the situation worse! Oh, well, she tried.

It's so fun to read about your little ones. I hope someday my kids will play nicely together! :-)