Item #1: A big fat congratulations to my brother-in-law, Brandon, who was accepted today to not one, but TWO dental schools (and on their very first round of acceptances. Including his first choice, the very prestigious Pacific, where he was offered a partial scholarship. He darn well better choose UNLV, though. They also accepted him, and I want my sister in reasonable driving distance.
Item #2: Harvey's hair loss has slowed down considerably. Hooray! Tomorrow is his dermatology appointment. I have decided to ask about the possibility of allergy testing, for things like gluten, eggs, milk products, ect...So many experts/doctors keep saying things like "autism, autistic tendencies, sensory integration dysfunction, alopecia areata i.e. allergic to his own hair" and I am just not sure what to think anymore. In my layman's opinion, it's not unreasonable to suspect that one underlying problem could be causing all these "symptoms" and I just feel like I haven't put my finger on it yet. Hard for me to know the right thing to do. I just want to help my sweet little Harvey.
3 comments:
You know....The Sensory Integration Dysfunction (Sensory Processing Disorder is another name for it, which is what seems to be used here) is what Ethan has. One of the OT's "diagnosed" (do OT's dx?) him with very mild hypotonia, too. ADDITIONALLY a lot of his problems first started because he was allergic to the milk/milk proteins and we didn't know...along with what we now know was/is reflux. So he went basically to a kid who was probably PRONE to sensory issues, to a kid who was in sensory overload because he was refluxing, battling yeast and eczema from the milk allergy, and all of that created a screaming, crying, stressed out, not eating, eye poking mess of a boy.
All that to say that when we got working with him and started the prevacid, things have been MUCH BETTER. So it KIND OF was mostly a single ROOT problem (or two) that just snowballed. SO. I think that your allergy testing is a good idea....it can't HURT to try, and it could surely help!
Good luck! Harvey is lucky to have a mama that goes to bat for him.
You are on the right track. And how happy to find out what is the cause or causes. And how crazy if its just a simple allergy. And remember that sometimes doc's (as crazy as this may sound) just throw out a diagnosis because they DO NOT KNOW!!!! Good luck.
Congratulations Brandon!
Post a Comment