Thursday, January 8, 2009

Look what came in the mail today from Cammie! Harvey will love it. The book will be an especially big hit, I think.

It sounds like Harvey's biological Uncle Curtis is home from a mission in Mexico. Congratulations to him and family! That is so exciting and I'm so glad Harvey has such good examples.

Jess asked me how the play group went. It went pretty well, I think. At one point another little girl was crying and Harvey toddled over to her corner and gave her his beanbag and a hug. I could not have been prouder if he had written The Gettysburg Address. That kind of empathy demonstrates all the sophistication of a 3-year-old, don't you think?

There was one Mommy there who had an array of comments to make about adoption. She started out by saying that "Everyone always gets pregnant after they adopt." I hear that one a lot lately, and I just ignore it. (It's one of the least irritating things people say.) Although it does bug me a little, because it seems to imply that adopting Harvey was just a means to this end, not an awesome and valid way to build our family. I hope people stop saying this by the time he is old enough to understand. I imagine it could be pretty hurtful to him. Also, it's just not true. People with infertility get pregnant sometimes. It happens at the same rate whether people adopt or not. Then this mommy asked me if I still had contact with his birth mother, and although I knew this conversation could lead nowhere good, I said "Of course." She said something along the lines of "Oh, I could never do that. Don't you think it will be confusing to him?" I replied that I thought it was much more likely to clear up any confusion and she said "Well, I'm sure if it was a closed adoption you wouldn't have had all those legal problems." Um. Okay. Or, I just wouldn't have had his bio-family's help and support. But maybe she knows more about it than I do, hum?

I think above all what makes me a little sad about these kinds of conversations is that, when some people look at my son and my family all they ever seem to see is adoption. They don't notice his big brown eyes or the precious way he just shared his beanbag or how he is always, always, always smiling. Every Sunday in church there is invariably somebody who brings it up. I avoid a lot of conversations. It's not that I want to keep it a secret, or don't love adoption, it's just that some people can't see past it. I guess it will be better when he is older, and when we have moved to a new neighborhood.

Anyhow. On a lighter note, Harvey did get 2 invitations to go play with other little kids. Playdates, I guess. I'm not really sure what playdate etiquette is. I feel like I should bring something to share with the other moms. Some crumpets or something...I don't actually know what crumpets are, but it seems like they would go with a playdate, and you know, Mom luncheons, or whatever.



7 comments:

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

Meh. I really didn't mean for that to come off sounding as negative as it did. I was a little upset for a bit, but I'm sure I'll get over it. It's probably harder than I think for other people to understand. I'm planning on taking Harvey back to the group and I'll just have to try not to be easily upset.

Tammy said...

Cally,
I look up to you and Jed for adopting. Harvey is a cute little boy. I also think that it is great that you stay in touch with his biological mother. The day will come that Harvey understands it all and he will also love you for being so open with him. Keep up the good work. At times it is not easy trieing to raise someone elses child and I look up to those that are willing to give them the family life that they need. Don't let others get to you. If they have walked in your shoes they would understand. It is also exciting that you are going to be able to have a child of your own to be a little brother to Harvey. He will make a great Big Brother.

Jess said...

It didn't sound negative, Cally. The painful truth is that most people are painfully stupid. :)

Seriously.

I'd say that you wouldn't believe what all we hear, but you probably WOULD. I hope that when you move, you'll blend a bit more and with the difference in age that you'll have with your boys, you can just pass as anyone else would pass and people can take their opinions and shove them.

I don't mind the curious as much as the blatantly RUDE people, even if they don't "mean" it. There is a greeter at Walmart (whom I went to school with) who insists upon asking us which our our kids is our "real" kid. NO JOKE. "Which one is really yours?" Yeah, so, they both are mine. Thanks!

I once heard someone say that to the "which is yours" or "which one is adopted" questions they like to say "you know what? I can't even remember!" I thought that was exceptionally funny!

People have a VERY VERY hard time understanding open adoption, and to be honest, I believed some of the crap that is widely accepted as truth before I was more educated and really in the process on a personal level. I'm not hurt, but annoyed, when people say that Ava's family shoudlnt' have abandoned her or some such thing...and I take it as an opportunity to explain to them that IN FACT they DIDN'T abandon her and we SEE THEM all the TIME and it's REALLY QUITE NICE thankyouverymuch! :)

I think that you just have to be honest with people...if you're honest, then really Harvey won't have anything to be hurt about, at least on your end. Come up with some witty comebacks now, cause man....people are not getting better at being sane!

A NURSE at Urgent Care once asked the kids' difference in ages, and after saying 6 1/2 months, which SHOULD have tipped off a NURSE, he says, "Hey, don't you know where babies come from?" Uhm, actually....I'm VERY VERY aware, thanks. And don't YOU know how long a GESTATION is??

Another biggie is "Oh man, you got pregnant, and you still adopted her? That's so NICE of you!"

Yep. Caught me, the whole thing is just a big act of CHAIRITY, it wasn't that I wanted my daughter at all, I was just being NICE. Uh huh. Yeeeeeah. Jerk!

Glad the playgroup type deal was good and you have invites! Ooooh boy, you're a brave one! I just never leave the house! hahaha

Though now I totally wonder what crumpets are.

Jess said...

Wow. That was long. Should have just emailed you I guess! Sorry. :)

anette said...

Is the post from Tammy our old neighbor? I'm just wondering because I'd love to say hi.

Tammy said...

Cally,
Will you let your mom know that yes the post is from Tammy your old neighbor.
It is great keeping up on the family.

Tamara ViAnn said...

I'm sorry about all the negative comments you get from people. I'm pretty lucky that my ward has been great about it and it rarely comes up. Sometimes I seriously forget that came to our family this way. She's been ours for so long now that it's not on the top of my mind anymore. Usually the bulk of what I get is "how's her mom doing" and I say "oh you mean her birthmom?, she's doing really well...." and so on.