My Dad gave me a pressure canner for Christmas. I mentioned to Jed that I would like to can some turkey, if we saw any on sale. After five years of marriage, you'd think I'd know better than to say something that to Jed. He was so pleased with himself when he came home with 60 pounds of turkey. I'd never even used a pressure canner by myself before, so needless to say I was a little overwhelmed. Luckily, Jed had a bunch of time off for the New Year holiday, so he took care of Harvey while I canned turkey. And then canned more turkey. And then I did some turkey canning. And then, 'round about one in the morning, I thought I'd better can some turkey, before it went bad. So that pretty much sums up how we spent our holiday.
I'm kinda perplexed about what to do with Harvey and the nursery. The first week was a screaming success. Harvey had a blast and didn't cry at all. The second week all went well until some of the other moms started arriving to pick up their kids. Harvey realized his own mommy wasn't there and started crying. He cried for 25 solid minutes after I picked him up. The next week, yesterday, I decided that I would just be the first mommy there for pick-up, so I snuck out of Relief Society 5 minutes early. I got to the nursery and was surprised to find Jed already there. The teacher explained to me that Harvey had gotten sad when one of the other Daddy's came to check on his son, and so she pulled JEd out of his meeting to sit with Harvey. I really don't mind sitting with Harvey the whole time, (they don't give out snacks and color crayons during relief society!) but I'm worried that might just make it worse and Harvey will never want to go by himself. Plus, it might annoy the teacher. (Although, I guess I don't really care if the teacher is annoyed.)
I walked into Harvey's bedroom the other day to find him sitting in a pile of new Christmas toys, staring at the wall, shoulders slumped, looking like he sincerely believed nothing exciting would ever happen to him again. I think he is probably a little bored these days, not being able to play outside very often because of the snow. There is a group of Mom's who meet at the church once a week to let their kids play together. The mommy small talk may be unbearably awkward,and most of the kids are a little older than Harvey, but I guess I will give it a try this week, for Harvey's sake.
Today Harvey came with me to my prenatal appointment. The midwife let him help hold the Doppler. Harvey was pretty excited about it, and he even made his little surprised face every time he heard the heartbeat.
P.S. Canceled my cell phone because I never get any calls on it. Will get a new one soon, but until then I'm sure you all have Jed's number and our land line.
5 comments:
Awww, poor Harvey! The image of him all upset and sitting in his toys makes me so sad! I hope that the church group isn't too...ahem..."Mom-y" if you get what I mean.
Maybe it'll even be FUN? Hahaha, yeah, I see you rolling your eyes at me.
Harvey will have more than his fair share of fun (hey, I said it would be fun...but maybe more...uhm...commotion-ful?) once his brother is here!! He better relish the bored while he still can!
It seems like the nursery teacher is just ASKING for you to stay, what with getting Jed herself! But I know what you mean about not wanting to make it a problem in the future!
Oh I know exactly what you mean by "Mom-y" and I'm glad I'm not the only one who does. That is exactly why we haven't gone already. The minute the conversation turns to diapers or the woes of pregnancy, I'm outta there.
I hadn't thought about the nursery teacher wanting us to stay. Duh. I'm definitely staying on Sunday.
Sooooo when is the moms get together? I'm dying to know how it goes!
Happy New Year!!! Hope Christmas was wonderful. I'm sure it was with all your family together. We had a wonderful time in Mexico with Curtis and thought how nice it would be to introduce him one day to your family. I also regret others insensitivity. Hang in there and thank you again for sharing with us your family. Hope your felling well. Pam
I see Harvey often but that doesn't stop me from enjoying everything I read on Cally's blog. Her sense of humor and the point of view she writes from entertains me for hours.
Pam I'm so glad your missionary is home. Those return missionaries seem to walk on water and fill the day with goodness. I'll bet it's wonderful! And just because I am part of Cally's family, I'm expecting the opportunity to meet Curtis too. We love you guys so much and think the world of you.
Post a Comment