Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A True April Fools Day Story

One April Fool's day, when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I was sent down the road to pick up my baby brother, who was 2-3 years old. He had tagged along after my older brother, and together they were terrorizing some chickens at this house down the street. My little brother was having too much fun, though, and I couldn't get hime to come home willingly.

"Maybe the Easter Bunny came early this year and left a chicken at your house." I told him. Of course it wasn't true. We didn't have any chickens and didn't live very close to anyone who did. But it was enough to convince my brother.

When we got home, to my shock and amazement my cat was chasing A CHICKEN around the yard. My baby brother was THRILLED. He was sure the Easter Bunny had left him a chicken. I called my older brother to come home and help me catch the chicken, but he didn't believe me, as it was April Fools Day. He finally came home though, just to see if I was telling the truth. He caught the chicken and he was carrying it around the backyard to put it in the shed. He said "Wouldn't it be funny if she laid an egg?" (We were kids. Stupid things amused us.) And just at that moment, the chicken laid an egg.

Nobody believed us all day long, including our own mother, since it was April Fools Day. But it is a true story.

No comments: