Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We got a van. Its an old one, with a lot of miles, but it's a good van. It runs, and probably will for a long time according to our mechanic. It has everything I wanted (two doors, captains chairs for the boys, leather, automatic doors, lots of room, fold-down back row) except for a DVD player, but we can buy one one of those seperately. We weren't really planning on buying a new car, but my little Saturn was getting awfully uncomfortable with the 4 of us, and I worried about Harvey or Grey riding so close to the doors.

Jed had built some countertops for a guy who owns a car dealership. The guy paid for the material, but went bankrupt while Jed was doing the labor, so he owed Jed some money that he couln't pay. I told Jed to ask him if he would give us one of his old minivans to pay for the tops, and we would call it even. He agreed, and told us he had a Pontiac Montana with everything I wanted that we could have. We drove the Montana and told him we would take it, and then he put us through a series of bait-and-switch vans until we finally ended up driving a 1995 Nissan Quest that was REALLY tiny, and had nothing I wanted. After we test drove the Nissan, I told Jed to march into his office and tell him we were done doing business, and that we wanted our money right now. It worked, and he gave it us our money. By that point, though, we decided that those minivans really were a lot nicer to ride around in with the kids, and we definitely wanted one. So we took the money the dealer gave us and bought an Oldsmobile Silhouette from the classifieds. They don't make them anymore, but I really like them, so I am happy. For the amount we paid, I will be happy if it gets us around for a year. I am also happy because I really wanted to take the boys on a few little road trips this summer, but it was not going to happen in my crowded little Saturn.

Then I put a classified ad up for the Saturn today. We had it sold within 30 minutes. We sold it around lunch time, and I knew it was getting close to Harveys nap time, but he wasn't acting too tired yet. I was planning on putting him down for a nap as soon as the buyer left. I stepped outside for a minute to take the kids money and give him the keys, and when I came back inside Harvey took me by the hand and lead me back to his bedroom. He had carried a FULL milk carton and a sippy cup from the fridge to his bed, and he climbed right up on his bed and handed me the sippy cup. (He wanted me to fill up the sippy cup and lay down next to him with a story so he could fall asleep. ) Talk about Mommy-Guilt.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Ugh to that first guy, but at least it worked out!! I hear you on getting crowded...two carseats make for a FULL SEAT that's for sure! :)

anette said...

I loved that Harvey knew exactly what he needed for his nap and that it included you and a gallon of milk.:)