I didn't cry, so thats good. Actually, I'm pretty happy I called them.
Harvey did qualify for services, which is kinda sad, but probably I would have been more concerned if he DIDN'T qualify, because then I would be back at square one with the same problem.
The speech therapist was really nice and she thought Harvey was really cute. (So she knows what she's talking about.) I asked her what I could realistically expect, and she said if we work really hard he might be able to be age-appropriate in 6 months. She is sending a nurse to our house to give him a hearing screen sometime next week, (she also thought that was likely a problem) and starting in June Harvey is going to have a tutor coming to the house. We are going to schedule a sort of IEP meeting (I forgot what she really called it) to decide how often the tutor should come and make some goals.
She had some really great toys and books she brought over, and I can already see how those will be really helpful. She mentioned sign language and PECS, but I've already tried both, so I dunno...
She gave me and Jed a list of classes they have scheudled that we can attend and told us they would provide child care so we can attend. Wow.
Thats pretty much the plan, for now. I'm just a little sad, because it's hard to learn your kid has a delay, and I feel like kinda a crappy mom...But I guess I better get over it. I'm sure everything will be fine. We'll get him caught up in no time.
4 comments:
Cally
You are a wonderful mom. You watch and care for your children so well and when you're concerned you do something about it. Good for you. And like Pam said, Don't let this upset you. Every child develops and grows differently. We love Harvey because he is Harvey! He is adorable, cute, smart, CLEVER and very, very easy to love.
Don't feel like a crappy mom! You're getting him what he needs to develop on track....and CHANCES ARE he would end up just fine anyway. However, there's no reason NOT to give him a little help! I'm glad that they're working so well with you!
I think it's comforting to hear that Cammie had similar issues (I'm just catching up from the last two days)....Ava was late walking (15m) and while the ped was starting to get alarmed, I told myself not to be worried until she was well past what her bio dad and bio brother both walked at (15 mo!).
Good luck! Keep doing what you're doing! :)
Ditto to CHANCES ARE HE WILL END UP JUST FINE EITHER WAY.
Chances are he'll turn out to be a stinkin little musical genius either way...
Post a Comment