I am starting to get a little concerned about Harveys language development. He has a few words, but not as many as he should. He has to be prompted to use them, they come out kind of muddled, and he doesn't combine words at all.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't think so. A speech and language therapist is coming over tomorrow morning to evaluate him. I am taking him to the doctor on the 12th to see if he needs to have tubes placed in his ears, or if there is some other physiological pathology. I'm thinking/hoping that some tubes and a bit of speech therapy for catch-up will do the trick. I don't think it is anything too serious, though, because his social interactions and motor skills seem normal. (Actually, I'd say his gross motor skills are advanced.) He makes good eye contact, plays well with other kids, gives hugs and kisses. He can even jump.
It's probably just a little language delay. His language development is probably still within the late range of normal. I'd just rather get it worked out now before he is old enough to understand what is going on, or before it causes any problems in school. Hopefully I didn't already wait too long. (Although again, everything else seems normal, so I suspect they would have just told me not to worry until he was 2.)
I'm really nervous about what the speech therapist is going to say tomorrow, though. Bleh.
Hopefully I don't cry. That would be wimpy.
2 comments:
Hello, don't let this be upsetting. Cammie was late speaking but not in any other developmental area. She was happy and cute and could do all kinds of things like get into medicine cabinets and under the sink. Let us know when she wanted or needed things. And hey, whats another challenge anyway!?
Thats comforting to know about Cammie. Harvey is very clever at being adoreable and getting into medicine cabinets :P and recognizing music and definitely has no problems communicating what he wants with me. I'm sure he'll get all caught up with talking in no time. It's true, this is such a minor challenge compared to some others we've had in the last few years...I shouldn't stress myself out over it.
P.S. We love you guys and can't wait to see you!
Post a Comment