Friday, May 1, 2009

This week has been pretty slow for me and the boys, although Jed is working every night until 7. Some interesting things are happening with the business right now. I'm hesitant to say anything because it seems like whenever something good happens for the business it falls through. (I.e. The McCoys floor going bankrupt. The trip to Boise that wasn't. Ect.) Time will tell.

On Tuesday Harvey went to the dentist. The dentist said Harvey had strong teeth and good brushing (haha) but was likely to need braces some day. There goes any chance we may have had of paying tuition at Juliard. I'm assuming of course, that by "good brushing" the doctor meant "good screaming with your mouth clamped shut when your Mommy tries to brush your teeth." He's the second doctor that has rejected my requset fluoride prescription. What's up with that? Is there something about fluoride I don't know?

In an hour we are going to go have a little playdate with two other mommies who are in the middle of contested adoptions. (One of them was in Carlys ward in Henderson, I think) They both have kids Harveys age, so he will have fun playing.

I've come to the conclusion that our ward runs the most militant nursery in the church. That's why Harvey doesn't like it much. We have been sitting with him in nursery the whole time, and they have 10 minute lessons (10 minutes!) and only break out the toys for about 15 minutes the whole time.

Uncle Brandon graduated at the end of last week, and we went to some graduation celebrations. On Wednesday night, I got a phone call at around 10:30. It was a pre-paid call, and the recorded message informed me that I was recieving a call from an inmate at the Utah County Prison. The call was from (and here the recorded voice clicked out and a mans voice clicked in) Brandon. I was asked if I wanted to accept the call, but I was so shocked I missed it when they told me what button to push to accept. I hung up the phone and panicked. It had to be a mistake. Maybe they picked him up for failure to use his blinker, right? How much would bail be on something like that? And why was he calling me instead of my sister? Maybe he didn't want her to know? No way was I keeping this a secret from her! I would probably bail him out, I decided, but I was calling Jenine right away. So I did. She sounded like I woke her up.

"Sister?" (Our standard greeting for each other.)

"Jenine! Oh, I'm so glad you answered. Are you okay? Have you been crying?"

"I'm fine. Why?"

"Bad news...I just got a call from Brandon. He's been arrested. He's at the jail. He's an inmate. But I didn't know how to accept the call. We have to call the jail back and see if we can talk to him. "

"Brandon is sitting right here next to me watching a movie."

"Oh. Okay. Bye."

I guess it was a wrong number. Funny coincidence, though. I'm watching Brandon, now. He's trouble.

6 comments:

Jess said...

LOL at the mistaken call! HAHA!

And ha! to the "good brushing!" That's classic! My kids love to brush, though. So much so that we have to hide our own toothbrushes up high because Nacks especially steals them.

As for the flouride...if you don't live in an area with flouridated water (aka almost any city source) usually it's straight forward to get a script for Poly-Vi-Flor vitamin/flouride drops....My ped actually practically PUSHED them at us. I was like...eh, and she was like...NO NO HEEEEERE TAAAKE THEM! I'm suprised!!

anette said...

The flouride thing surprises me, too. I'd either ask more questions about why he is NOT prescribing them or get a 2nd opinion.

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

He told me to just buy some toothpaste with fluoride in it. I'm sure that will work, but sometimes I wonder if any toothpaste actually ends up on his teeth. :)

LaDawn said...

Actually, if you get into the health movement (hmm, I hesitate to say health-nuts!), there are MANY people who don't use flouride at all. It is, after all, poison to our bodies in large doses. Which is why they don't put it in baby toothpaste: it is not supposed to be swallowed in the quantities we use in toothpaste. One of my kids actually has flouride "spots" on her teeth from getting too much flouride when her teeth were forming. If you have fouridated water, I wouldn't worry about flouride drops.

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

Weirdly, the water here isn't fluoridated. I think we have voted to add fluoride several times over the last decade, but for whatever reason it keeps getting put off. If we had ANY fluroide at all, I wouldn't have asked the doc. Guess I'll just buy some toothpaste with it, or maybe mouthwash.

anette said...

I wonder if a call to A.F City Offices would straighten out the matter whether or not fluoride has been recently added to the water, or not. Maybe your dentist is more current than your genius father, or again maybe he isn't. I do think the correct amount of fluoride makes a big difference in the health of the teeth. And like LaDawn said, "Too much is bad for the teeth."