Friday, July 17, 2009

Took Grey in to the doctor for immunizations and check up today. The doctor agrees that Grey is a very big kid.

Harvey was with us. The doctor spent 95% of the appointment asking me questions about Harvey, and then sent me home with a referral to Primary Childrens Hospital to have a special test done. The doctor said that they would sedate Harvey a little, then put some things on his head to measure his brain wave patterns when he hears different sounds. (He had a hearing test before, but he was very combative and so we didn't get much information.) Part of me thinks this is all getting to be a bit much, that the test seems a little excessive, but also, because of some of the questions the doctor asked me today, I am getting pretty worried.

Bleh.

11 comments:

Pamela Knight said...

Harvey seems to be such a happy little person. We'll pray pray and pray some more. Glad that Grey is okay and growing up.

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

Harvey is definitely a very sweet, and very, very happy little boy. I just love him so much it is hard for me not to worry about him. I just want to make things as easy as possible on him.

Jess said...

What are they worried about? Email me maybe. You make me worry!

Whatever is up, if anything, I know you will handle it with grace and love. Just wish it wasn't so hard.

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

I think he was mainly just worried again about the speech thing. The test he discussed was a hearing test, but I KNOW Harvey can hear. I dunno why I am so worried about it. I need to stop. I am sure Harvey will be fine and talk up a storm when he is ready.

I am only writing about it here because very few people have the password, only those that really care about my kids. I wouldn't go discussing this with every Joe at the supermarket. Maybe I shouldn't even say anything about it at all, but then what's the point of keeping the blog if it's all fake and tea and crumpets all the time, know what I mean?

Pamela Knight said...

Cally thank you for sharing your concerns with all. I think that Little Mister has had so many people love him and pick him up and do for him that he just hasn't needed to say much. He will, and how neat that he can sign as well. You two are wonderful parents and love your boys to pieces and that's what matters the most. Have a non worry day.

Jess said...

Oh no, I know, and I'm glad you're sharing. You know we've had some issues with Ethan...not speech (mostly, he's now stopped using any form of affirmative like yes, etc) so much but sensory things. Even if you really believe/know that he will be fine, the road there doesn't always look so clear or seem easy and that stinks.

Hopefully they will point you in the right direction, therapy wise, and you can get him whatever help he needs. You're going the extra mile with it, and so you're sure to have all the info you can and be as helpful to him as you can, and that's what a good mom does. You're doing great!

Hope your weekend is going well. :)

anette said...

I agree Harvey has had lots of loving people ready to spoil him at a moments notice. It's hard for all parents NOT to worry about their children. But I promise there will be enough to worry about that you will want to take time off from worrying when ever possible. So start now to NOT Worry. No matter what everything will be fine. Harvey will be going on a mission before you know it and you'll be worrying about him getting mug. So relax while you can.

I also know Drs. tend to tell you the worst just because it's the safest bet for them than to have you come back angry at them later. WAIT WITHOUT WORRYING.

anette said...

p.s. can you make the font big again. I can't see it very well when it's this size.
love ya, you are a great mom!!!!!!!!

anette said...

I love this comment from Jess. Thanks for sending it.

Even if you really believe/know that he will be fine, the road there doesn't always look so clear or seem easy and that stinks.

LaDawn said...

Cally, I don't know if you know this, but I went to school with the idea of becoming an audiologist. I saw this test done back then (eons ago, when it was still a fairly new test!). It's not a difficult test and will put your mind at ease as to what he may or may not be hearing. Maybe he is hearing in a short range, or only hearing certain kinds of sounds. This test should be more definitive because it's not dependent on his responses. Go ahead and have it done, but try not to worry. I always say the more information you have, the better!
LaDawn

Elissa said...

Cally,

I hope everything is okay. I don't know your whole situation, since I think I came up on it in the middle, but if it's any comfort, I've heard that Albert Einstein didn't talk until he was 3 years old. Maybe he was just biding his time soaking up information and waiting until he could speak in complete sentences. Harvey sounds like a very bright kid.